Wednesday, April 2, 2008


So I went out to dinner at an incredibly yummy restaurant tonight, and I was reminded of just how much I really do love Thai food. And food in general, really. And in the spirit of recognizing fabulous food, I just discovered a new recipe yesterday (with a Thai-like flavor) that I LOVED and feel like I should pass on: Acorn Squash Soup. And the secret ingredient: dill! This will be one of my new all-time-favorite dishes for sure. Here's the recipe in case someone else might need further convincing that it really is the greatest combination of flavors.


1 small onion
1/4 cup chopped celery (I used carrots + 1 roma tomato instead...for color)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I left this out, and it was plenty thick)
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/4 teaspoon curry powder (I used a hot Thai curry)
dash cayenne pepper (or several dashes - the more the merrier)
2 cups chicken broth
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk (I just used an extra 3/4 cup water + a little cream)
3 cups mashed cooked acorn squash
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan, saute the onion and carrots in butter. Stir in flour, bouillon, dill, curry and cayenne until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the squash, salt and pepper; heat through.
In a blender, process the soup in batches until smooth. Pour into bowls; garnish.


2 comments:

Pants said...

Hi Nishidas! I was glad to see you're blogging. Hope things are going well.

kim said...

Yea, recipes! I LOVE, love, love Thai food. I can't seem to find any in Auburn. I miss it.