Sunday, October 12, 2008

Applesauce


A family in our ward moved into a house with lots of apple trees, and they let people go over and pick them - free! So Miya and I went on an apple-picking excursion (through many-an-Indiana-corn field to get there) and had some good laughs as I tried to make the apple picker do what I wanted it to do. Miya laughed every time an apple fell to the ground or when I would duck or gasp becuase one was about to hit me...which was often, I'm sad to say. I don't think I ever really got the hang of that apple picker.

We got a decent size load in the end, and I decided to try my hand at apple pie and applesauce. I froze a couple of ready-to-bake dutch apple pies, and then used the rest of the apples for applesauce - which turned out to be delicious (even if I do say so myself)! I used a mix of 4 different kinds of apples, 2 sweet, 2 tart, didn't have to add any sugar, and it came out a beautiful rosy pink color.

I froze most of it (since I don't have a canner), but I'm enjoying having a little apple goodness every day...I enjoy it alone most of time, however, as Miya will have nothing to do with it. Hmmph...I'm trying not to be offended.

1 comment:

Maida said...

Woah! Homemade applesauce!! Way to go Michelle!! I'll have to try that next time we have an abundance of apples! Isn't it fun being all "mom-ish and domestic" ?! Miya is so cute! I laughed at her Sunday poses--she knows she's cute! :) --and I love her little white jacket. Girls can never have too many shoes or too many jackets! Hope you are feeling good and that the pregnancy is going good--you look great!