Tuesday, September 30, 2008

MacArthur Communicative Development Inventory

Since I'm a speech-langauge pathologist, I'm all about speech and language, especially when it comes to my Miya. But I don't think I really grasped how many words she actually knows until I filled out the MacArthur Communicative Development Inventory. Miya has participated in some infant language studies at Purdue, and they sent me this parent report form as a follow-up to one of the studies. It turns out that she is able to say 64 different words!



Yes...64. And that doesn't include words like "please" that she will sign, but not yet say. My newest favorites are "ight" for light (she points out every lamp, ceiling light, headlight, flashlight, and street lamp we pass during the day, by the way. It's actually quite amusing to see how fascinated she is by seeing lights), "tut" for cut, "outs" for ouch, and "boop" for scoop. She also says "eyes" and "ears" remarkably clearly, and that's pretty cute. What a good talker she's becoming!

1 comment:

Rose and Daniel said...

Hi Michelle! It's Rose from grad. school. I found your blog through Maida's. Your little girl is so cute! And it sounds like her speech and language dev. is coming along just fine. I'm so excited you're pregnant. I'm pregnant too! I'm about 23 weeks along. So it looks like we'll have kids around the same age! How fun!