Saturday, July 25, 2009

Radial head subluxation



So...Monday was all fun and games during our family outing to the Houston Astros baseball game until a very unwelcome case of Nursemaid's elbow or radial head subluxation happened to rear its ugly head. We were on our way back to the car after the game, swinging Miya by her arms between us. I quit playing, and since Jacob was still holing on when Miya tried to sit down, a one arm pull suddenly brought the fun to an end. Miya couldn't use her right arm at all, but we were able to get her home, bathed and in bed with only intermittent crying and frequent "Hurt arm" or "Ouchy elbow" comments from Miya.

We figured out what had happened using the trusty ol' internet, and when Miya woke up crying at 2am, Dr. Michelle went in and bravely attempted to "fix" the problem. Yes...all by myself. If anyone is shocked and/or apalled by this, know that I was fully prepared to take her to the emergency room, but hey - she had gone right to bed, and turning her hand over seemed like a pretty simple procedure to me, Especially since I was 99% sure that what had happened really was nuresmaid's elbow. Perhaps it will comfort you to know that I practiced on Jacob first. :)

I read this during my internet search:
Treatment
- While supporting the radial head, the forearm is supinated or pronated and flexed at the same time. A "click" will be heard or felt.
- After the "reduction", the child will immediately use the arm. There is no indication for immobilization and rarely are analgesics necessary.


I chose to hyperpronate since it's evidently more successful than supination (I even remembered what these terms meant from my anatomy classes...amazing!), and I immediately heard a glorious POP! Miya rolled over and immediately went right back to sleep. The next morning, she used her arm just like normal, although I found myself being extra careful with her when we played.

Thank goodness it wasn't something more serious, and that we didn't have to make her suffer through the night/day until we could get her to a real doctor. I'm considering med school now...I think I have some definite potential.

Here are a few pictures from the game. Miya took the first one (in case you couldn't tell). She's quite a talented photographer, don't you think?





4 comments:

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Yay for Dr. Michelle! Good for you!!!

Melissa said...

You're the third person this summer that has had a kid with a popped out elbow. Makes me nervous when people swing my Mia around. I'm glad you were able to fix it so easily.

Chad and Bekah said...

Oh my word--I am so glad that Miya is ok and so glad her super smart Mom had the know-how to fix her without having to take her to the ER! Maybe med school isn't a crazy idea after all? =) Cute pics. We miss seeing you guys!

Anonymous said...

Shriek!! That is so scary. I am glad it all worked out. I am going to call you the next time Emma gets hurt :)