Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ukrainian Borsch



We've been getting beets for a couple of weeks now from our share of produce, so I decided to make some borsch for old times sake. I haven't made it in a really long time, actually, and I decided to use a slightly different recipe this time around - one that I found online. This recipe used sausage (though I usually use beef) and I actually was really pleased with the flavor. This makes me want to make some more Ukrainian food ...maybe I'll be ambitious this week...we'll see.

Here is the recipe in case anyone is interested (this makes a LOT of borsch...at least 10 servings):

1 (16 ounce) package pork sausage (I used half this amount)
3 medium beets, peeled and shredded
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
3/4 cup water
1/2 medium head cabbage, cored and shredded
1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained (I used fresh tomatoes...from my garden, of course!)
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon white sugar, or to taste
1/2 cup sour cream, for topping
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley for garnish

DIRECTIONS
Crumble the sausage into a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until no longer pink. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Fill a large pot halfway with water(about 2 quarts), and bring to a boil. Add the sausage, and cover the pot. Return to a boil. Add the beets, and cook until they have lost their color. Add the carrots and potatoes, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cabbage and tomatoes.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and celery, and cook until tender. Stir in the tomato paste and water until well blended. Transfer to the pot, cover and turn off the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Taste, and season with salt, pepper and sugar.

Ladle into serving bowls, and garnish with sour cream and fresh parsley.

Enjoy!

No comments: